Unlike your feet, however, one side of your brain has been treated as more important than the other by your school and, probably, by other institutions in your life — workplace, family, clubs…
No wonder as you go through life, trying to make the most of yourself, you feel often feel constrained or frustrated. It’s as if you were trying to walk with one foot tied behind your back.
Here are the differences between your two key intelligences, so you can begin to get them back into balance:
- Rational intelligence communicates through thoughts, concepts, opinions and ideas. Creative intelligence communicates through feelings, emotions, imaginings and intuitions.
- Rational intelligence categorises, creative intelligence breaks the box.
- Rational intelligence critiques, creative intelligence explores.
- Rational intelligence controls, creative intelligence allows.
- Rational intelligence looks out, seeing human reality as material and given. Creative intelligence looks in, seeing human reality as imagined and co-created with life.
- Rational intelligence likes answers, creative intelligence likes questions.
- Rational intelligence sees failure as defeat. Creative intelligence sees failure as a learning opportunity.
- Rational intelligence persuades through intellectual opinion and argument. Creative intelligence persuades through story, symbol and song.
- Rational intelligence consumes art, writing and music as entertainment. Creative intelligence creates art, writing and music as expression.
- Rational intelligence sees life as random and ultimately meaningless. Creative intelligence makes meaning through pattern and metaphor.
COMMENT on this blog or give feedback at The Guestbook.
WANT MORE LIKE THIS? Have it delivered to your EMAIL INBOX. Or SUBSCRIBE in a READER. All subscribers receive a free e-book: ‘Inspiration Meditation: A Guide for Writers Artists & Everyone’.