This week’s highlights: In this month’s #AskALLi Advanced Self-Publishing Salon, Joanna Penn and I discuss how to review what’s working and what’s not in your author business; Howard Lovy interviews inspirational indie author Jandra Sutton on how she feels about making her writing available for strangers to critique on Wattpad and, as ever, Dan Holloway has all the latest self-publishing news from the Alliance of Independent Authors blog roundup 2019 Week 27
But before all that, a note to the writers among you.
ALLi is looking to commission blogs for August. The theme for the month is ‘Selling for the Seasons.’
Please consider sending us a pitch and a proposed outline for a blog you’d like to contribute.
Here are some ideas for the kinds of content we’re looking for, though if you have other ideas, please do drop us a line.
- How to sell in different seasons – NOT just Christmas, but seasons from across the world. For example, Chinese New Year, Yom Kippur, Ramadan, Eid, Hanukkah, Solstice, Halloween, etc.
- How to sell at literature festivals
- How to prepare for festivals
- Different marketing tricks for the seasons
- How to keep marketing costs low during peak selling seasons
We are also always interested in guest posts on writing craft and posts that help solve niche problems anywhere along the seven processes of self-publishing (editorial, design, production, distribution, marketing, promotion, and managing publishing rights and content formats).
Now, onto the roundup:
Self-Publishing Advice Roundup:
- In Journey To The Perfect Book Cover Author member Helen Baggott tells us about her experience of finding the right designer for her cover.
- Partner member Karen Williams from The Book Mentor talks us through the nonfiction book marketing basics.
- In this article, I explain the three kinds of self-publishing author, distinguished by their reasons for self-publishing and their attitude to readers and the business of author-publishing. At ALLi, we give them different names, so we know who we are talking about, and how to best serve them.
- In this month’s #AskALLi Advanced Self-Publishing Salon, Joanna Penn and I discuss how to review what’s working and what’s not in your author business.
- This week’s Inspirational Indie Author Podcast sees Howard Lovy interviewing Wattpad author Steff Green and deputy general manager of Wattpad Studios, Ashleigh Gardner on reinventing the way books are written and read.
- In New Authorpreneur Membership Category, I introduce ALLi’s new member category, explain the reasons for the change and the new features that ALLi will be rolling out over the coming months.
- And finally, in Dan Holloway’s regular indie author news round-up this week, he’s looking at self-publishing at a turning point; key publishing industry reports; Scribd snapshots; and digital tax and prime day.
Lots to learn and ponder, as ever.
Each Wednesday I bring you this round up from the self-publishing advice blog, run by the Alliance of Independent Authors, the non-profit association for self-publishing authors. We offer many benefits to indie authors.