This week’s highlights: In our monthly #AskALLi Advanced Self-Publishing Salon, Joanna Penn and I explain what copyright law means for the independent author; Howard Lovy interviews inspirational indie author and scientist J. Dianne Dotson on Writing Science Fiction and, as ever, Dan Holloway has all the latest self-publishing news from around the indie author houses.
Self-Publishing Advice Roundup:
Call for speakers! Planning for the Fall 2019 Self-Publishing Advice Conference, a.k.a. #SelfPubCon, is well underway. ALLi’s call for speakers and presenters is live and we’re ready for your submission. But be quick, there are just two weeks left before the #selfpubcon submission window closes.
- ALLi author member Alison Clifford discusses how to reach global audiences as authors and whether there’s more to it than just distribution.
- ALLi author member Denise Gaskins is back with the second blog of a two-part series explaining how to create a DIY nonfiction index.
- In this month’s Advanced Self-Publishing Salon, Joanna Penn and I explain why changes in copyright law are important for independent authors. Should authors try to stop piracy? Is there a tradeoff between freedom and protection?
- This week’s Inspirational Indie Author Podcast sees Howard Lovy interviewing scientist J. Dianne Dotson about when to turn on and turn off the real science when writing science fiction.
- In The Psychology of Success For Authors: Do You Secretly Think Self-Publishing is Second Best?, I discuss why I believe that having a growth mindset is the single biggest predictor of success for an author.
- And finally, in Dan Holloway’s regular indie author news round-up this week, he’s looking at the Selfie Awards coming to America; Ingram Lightning Source in Publishing City; Happy Birthday to the Little Free Library; and StreetLib’s new directions.
Lots to learn and ponder, as ever.
Each Wednesday I bring you this round up from the self-publishing advice blog, run by the Alliance of Independent Authors, the non-profit association for self-publishing authors. We offer many benefits to indie authors including a range of self-publishing guides which non-members can purchase here.