In May 2019, I’m starting a monthly online open mic for poets, which will include an advice clinic about how to publish poetry for profit in the digital age.
Poetry is having a moment, especially in the independent author arena. Robin Cutler, Director of Ingram Spark, recently spoke about how the biggest sellers on that platform are poets. Dan Holloway, news editor at the Alliance of Independent Authors has constantly highlighted the growing reach of poetry and poets.
This is new and many poets don’t know how to set themselves up for the opportunities provided by digital publishing and creative online enterprise. The Prosperous Poet aims to change that, offering:
- an Online Open Mic (each poet reading/performing for five minutes each)
- a longer reading and interview with a Featured Poet, discussing their influences and inspirations
- an Advice Clinic on how to earn a living in poetry, through digital publishing and online creative enterprise.
Called “The Prosperous Poet” it will be a warm and welcoming space for poets at every stage of development and anyone who loves the spoken and written word.
Page poets will read, spoken word artists will perform and all will have a mighty good time.
- If you’re a poet, come read or perform for us, reach a wider audience with your poetry, and ask any questions you may have about publishing poetry for profit in the digital age.
- If you’re a poetry lover, pour yourself a drink and come along and listen. I can promise you some extraordinary talent.
Online Open Mic For Poets: How It Works for Performers
- The event is monthly for now and open to all
- Six or seven poets each month read or perform for five minutes each (own poetry only)
- There is also a Featured Poet each month whom I interview about background and influences. (If you’d like to be featured, you’ll receive details of how to apply on registration.
- There’s also a Q&A Advice Clinic “The Prosperous Poet” where you can ask questions about publishing your poetry and finding a global readership in the digital age
Online Open Mic For Poets: How It Works for the Audience
- Coming along to listen is open to all, no need to register.
- Turn up at 8pm BST (London time) on the 2nd Tuesday of the month to my Facebook Page for the Live Event and click on the link to join in.
- It’s all free of charge but you are invited to support the work by becoming a poetry patron.
Online Open Mic For Poets: Poet Registration
Registration is a two-part process:
- Register your name and email here and I’ll send you further details about how to attend and/or how to apply to be featured.
- Follow my Patreon Poetry Page (free) for updates on the Open Mic and to hear the latest show once posted.
It’s that easy.
The event is recorded and turned into a podcast which will play on iTunes, Stitcher, Twitch and many other outlets. Widely publicized through traditional media and social media influencers, it will also feature on my website and be linked to the extensive network of the Alliance of Independent Authors
It’s all very new and we are still being shaped so come along and join and in and let’s see what we make together.